Friday, February 16, 2007

Tenure the Hard Way: Hunger Strike (Update 2)

At noon today, James Sherley, the African-American biomedical engineering professor who had begun a hunger strike to protest being denied tenure at MIT ended his strike. MIT and James Sherley issued the following statements:

MIT Statement
MIT deeply regrets that Professor Sherley's experiences at the Institute have resulted in his fast to express his concerns about racism. MIT bears responsibility for ensuring an environment in which all members of our diverse community feel welcome and respected. Professor Sherley's protest has focused attention on the effects that race may play in the hiring, advancement and experience of under-represented minority faculty, and on ensuring that our grievance processes are comprehensive, fair and timely. MIT is fully committed to addressing these issues and will continue to work toward resolution of our differences with Professor Sherley.
James Sherley Statement
Dear colleagues:

As MIT observes its Martin Luther King, Jr. Day celebration today, I want to thank my supporters and other sympathizers of my hunger strike outside of the offices of the President and Provost. I am ending this part of my struggle. Starting today, I will in fact break my fast, in celebration of the attention that has been brought to bear on issues of equity, diversity, and justice at MIT and in higher education. Carefully modified from the original, my demands are still on the table. I urge the administration to act in good faith, to openly acknowledge and respond to the lines of communication and negotiation that have been in place for two weeks and to find its way to meet these demands.

Sincerely yours,

James L. Sherley

No comments: